Tuesday, October 1, 2013

From Lance Leachman - Saskatchewan

Good morning,


I just wanted to make you aware of an event that may be of interest or benefit to young cattle enthusiasts you know.


The Big Gully Farm Youth Cattle Judging Clinic & Contest will take place this upcoming Saturday, October 5thbeginning at 9:00 am at the farm located 12 miles north of Maidstone, SK on Highway 21.  


The competition component of the event is open to youth between the ages of 9 and 21, but anyone is welcome to participate in the day.  It will entail a morning clinic describing cattle anatomy, project animal selection, cattle terminology, breeding cattle selection, presentation of oral reasons, and calculation of class cuts.


The afternoon portion of the event includes a judging contest consisting of 6 Hereford classes and 2 Angus classes.  These will include heifer calves, bull calves, bred heifers and yearling bulls.  Each competitor will also present oral reasons and answer questions on assigned classes.


The entry fee is $40 per competitor with 70% of the fee going toward prize money for the top 6 individuals in the junior, intermediate and senior age categories.  The remaining 30% covers the costs of a bagged lunch and roast beef supper provided to everyone in attendance.


Zoetis, Masterfeeds, T Bar C Cattle Co. and Ultrabeef Ultrasound Services have all contributed prize money, sponsorships or donations towards this event.


Entries will be taken at any time up toSaturday morning, though prior notice would be appreciated.  A full event description is attached.  Please contact me at 306-903-7299 orbiggullyfarm@gmail.com with any questions you may have regarding the day.



Lance Leachman

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment